Monday, June 13, 2011

Leshan, China - The Giant Buddha, photos

I went for several day-trips by bus when I was in Chengdu. One of these was to Leshan to see the Giant Buddha. He sits on the shore of the River by Leshan and was carved there to protect the boats from a dangerous spot in the water. On top of the cliff there are quite a few buildings / temples. Like all other religious sites I visited in China it is still very much a site of worship.

You can buy incense and/or oil lamps as prayers to Buddha. I did get one oil lamp to burn to wish health and well being to all my friends.





In all temples I saw four "characters" were always in one of the Buddha's room in front of the Buddha two on each side of him. I do not mean to say that the same four statues where in all temples but some representation of these four "characters" was. I have to admit that I forgot who they are, but I do recall that one is about rain, on is about wind ..... and the rest is gone.....




Walking around on the grounds around the buildings you see all kind of things big and small.

..including ponds with gold fish and turtles (very comment sight in China).

From the top of the cliff this is the first thing you see of the Giant Buddha. I hope it gives you a sense of scale.

From the other side you can actually see its entire head. (Maybe the people next to his forehead give you a better sense of scale)

To go to the base you have to go down a crazy set of stairs carved into the side of the cliff. When I was there, and I suspect most of the time, the stair were very busy and the upper part was a bit of a slow motion stampede.



Once you have found your way through the crazy crowd (which does not feel a bit buddhist in its behaviour) you get to see the full carving of the Giant Leshan Buddha.
Here is Buddha facing the river.

Another thing to know about Leshan is that is is a place where they grow tea. Once in Beijing in a tea house I mentioned to the young woman serving us that I had been to Leshan and she was quick to mention Leshan's famous green tea. It is true that in Chengdu and all around it I have had some amazing green tea. I do not usually favour green tea but there it really was very nice.

1 comment:

Amira said...

I love these photos- thanks.