Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Victoria Falls- part 3- views from the bridge

As I said in the first post about Victoria Falls at this point the Zambezi River is the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia. I was not sure whether or not I would be able to go on the bridge in the no-man-land between the two borders. It was a concern for me especially since my visa for Zim was not cheap (US$75, Canadian have the most expensive visa in Zim, most other nations are either free or charged around US$35) and was single entry and I had no visa for Zambia since Canadian need to have a visa before even showing up at the border. But it was no problem. I just explained that I wanted to go on the bridge but not pass the border and did not want a stamp in my passport. They see a lot of tourists doing just that, especially since there is bungee jumping from the bridge and they just stamped a little piece of paper that I gave to the border guards both on my way onto the bridge and off the bridge and all was done.

Anyway this is the views from the bridge.
Down river: (The hotel you can see in the distance is in Zambia)

And up river towards the Falls.

Here are a few shots of walking to and from the bridge, it is a busy international border and trucks were lining up to cross the border...at least on the Zim side since I never saw the other side.



....And for the geologists reading this the Falls are jumping over basalt:
The geometry of the Falls is obviously controlled by the rocks and I may just get around to posting about the why and how of the "wide-to-narrow" result I keep on going on about.

No comments: