Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Johannesburg is quite hilly

As I mentioned before Joburg is quite hilly. This is the view from the top of the hill behind where I live. Obviously an evening view.


In these photos you can also see at that this time of year, as it is getting cold especially in the evening, Joburg is also smoky. In fact I love the smell of fires in the evening. Here we are in a fancy big city and you can smell the fires in the evening. In Addis Ababa you can smell the eucalyptus fires here it is just regular wood fire.
Even most of the million dollar houses do not have proper heating.
South African are generally in total denial of winter. They use little electric heaters, or gas heaters with gas bottles but usually do not have central heating in their houses. They say that winter does not last long enough to have some plan about it. I have to disagree, 3 to 4 months of cold is a quarter to a third of the year! but here you are this is the way it is.
I promise you the house in the photo above which has a huge garden and is in a VERY expensive area of town is worth a few millions US dollars (just so we all speak about the same currency) and unless they have found the new pope (white smoke), and it is very unlikely for multiple reasons from timing to location, they heat their house with some sort of wood stove or fire place.

As I was saying it makes Joburg smell quite nice during the winter evenings and I do like it. Another nice treat of my evening walks is that from the top of that hill I can watch the sacred ibis going to roost for the night. They fly above the hill in perfect formation then when the pass the top of the hill they tumble down in a big swirling mess and  go down into the next valley yo Zoo Lake. I'll try to get  a better picture of the sacred ibis for you.

1 comment:

Amira said...

I'd like to smell wood smoke. Everyone uses coal to heat their homes here, and that doesn't smell so nice.

I'm loving the photos and I hope you can get a good photo of the ibis.