Sunday, June 22, 2014

Monument Valley, Four Corners Area

Returning from Malaysia I went to the Four Corner area on my way back to Canada.

Just in case you do not know I should say that the Four Corner area is in the States and is the only spot where four states join (Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona). Most of the Four Corners region belongs to semi-autonomous Native American nations, the largest of which is the Navajo Nation, followed by Hopi, Ute, and Zuni tribal reserves and nations. what it is really know for are its fantastic views that were much used by Hollywood during the hay days of cowboy movies.
This is their website but it needs serious updating.
The entrance fee is $20. There is a campground which is just a parking lot with a great view, however I did not stay there so I do not know the fee for camping or what facilities are available.

Before you get to Monument Valley itself you get a fantastic views.

It is quite a popular photo stop

....very popular

Monument Valley itself is stunning. The fee is a little much for one person in a vehicle since the fee is per vehicle. The dirt road is also pretty rough and I elected to go with a guide. I found a woman guide and we went just the two of us. It was great.





Traditional hogans in the foreground






No comments: