Thursday, December 03, 2015

Snaring Rabbits

This winter I am learning how to snare rabbits.

Where I am there are two ways to snare rabbits that I know of. Both include making snaring loops with brass wire and finding a way for the rabbits to go through them and get caught.
The easiest way is to put the loops near the ground along paths used by rabbits and wait for them to walk through. This means that they get caught by struggling and as a result tightening the loop around their neck. I can't help but think that it seems too slow and too unpleasant a way to die.

The other way in way more complex at the start as it involves building pens, putting bate in the pen and making the rabbits go through "gates" where the the snares wait for them. Once they get caught in the brass wire loops they trip a pole that throws them into the air and kills them quickly.
I know, they still die, but at least it is a lot faster.

In the first way I described the snares look like this:


The second way, the way I was taught is more involved. The final product, the pen, the poles and the snares look like this:

 The pen can be fenced with branches of spruce that rabbits don't really like, but will sometime eat too, or with some sort of chicken wire or any type of fencing that rabbits prefer not to eat or can't eat.

The brass wire loops looks like and has to be attached to a small stick (the trigger) and a string to be tied to the swinging pole.

This part of the process of building those

 Here is a pen mixed with the stick triggers to show their size

This is how the wire loop snares are positioned when the snares are set


And this is the non-Disney aspect of it, rabbits do die and they basically get hung:

I'm French, so obviously I already ate rabbits and the other day I cooked a really good rabbit stew.

No comments: