Thursday, June 24, 2010

Kangoroos? No, not really

"Kangaroo" is another thing people think of as soon as you say "Australia". However there is only one type of Kangaroo in Tasmania.
What you see in Tasmania are wallabies and pademelons ...yes, "pademelons"! Apparently they are so little known that even Microsoft Word does not recognize them and think that I am misspelling "watermelons"..... I bet you Word recognizes "unicorns" ... yep it does, Word knows about unicorns, completely mythical creatures, but not about pademelons, typical!!!
Anyway, as far as I can tell wallabies are are small kangaroos, and pademelons are very small kangaroos. I am sure there must be more to it, but as a rule of thumb, if you can be sure that you are looking at an adult and it is very small you are looking at a pademelon.

SORRY NO PHOTOS, FOR SOME REASON I CANNOT LOAD PHOTOS RIGHT NOW.
Let me figure it out.
Later : actually it is a Blogger problem and it seems that this problem has been going on since late March as far as I can tell!!

No comments: