Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Hong Kong - Just a Few Photos, part 1

Here are just a few photos.

First what you really expect in Hong Kong: the waterfront with the buildings, the boats and the hills in the background. (note that also as you would expect the air is not very clear. On average the air in Hong Kong is four times more polluted than the air in New York and 20,000 people per day go to the doctor for respiratory problems related to the air pollution...this is from a news show Isaw on TV while in Honk Kong)


Have you ever seen a place where people line up outside the Cartier store? It is a first for me. The door is only open in the photo because the guard was letting someone in at that very moment. Some people must have left from the other door, because otherwise people just wait outside. They wait for the guard at the door to let them in. There was line up just like this one, but longer, outside Coco Channel.
I conclude that at least some people have money in Hong Kong, or some people who come to visit Hong Kong have money. Not far from there you have the Peninsula Hotel which is reputed for being extremely luxurious and, I quote: "The cheapest room start where many other luxury hotel stop... A night in the opulent Peninsula suite will set you back the price of a new car." (from "Top 10 Hong Kong" of Eyewitness Travel. If I buy a guide I usually buy "Top 10" because they are cheap, small, light, easy to carry around and have mas of the key areas god enough to be used. But I just use the guide part as a rough idea of where to start, just the way any guide should be used. I mostly use the maps)

And here the front of the place where I am staying (the Chungking Mansion in which there are over 90 guest houses. I am obviously staying in one of those 90 guest houses at US$30 a night... not quite the price of a new car). The entrance is the darker spot at ground level.

I'll have to do a post about Chungking Mansion. It is a bit of a famous spot.

No comments: