Sunday, May 29, 2011

Brief update

I am in Australia now, in Tasmania.

China was GREAT! I think I will try to go back next year. I have to post some photos but here is in very brief:
- The little bit on Mandarin I learnt was entirely worth it. It made my trip so much more enjoyable. I had a lot of fun trying to talk to people.
- Remember I posted about tonality in Mandarin and how critical and difficult it was. In fact people in china are so happy to see foreigners speaking a little Chinese that they really cut you a lot of slack and understand what you want to say even when you butcher it very badly.
- Chinese people are incredibly friendly, if anything they are a bit over protective of foreigners and take very good care of them (in restaurants, in trains and buses).
- The Great Wall of China was even better that I thought it would be. I think it might be the difference of scale you get between photos and the actual view of the entire landscape so I don't think I will be albe to bring that to you by pictures.
- The food, including street food, is amazing, but surprinsingly not that spicy (even in Chengdu which is in the Sechuan Province)
- Chinese trains are safe and a great experience.
- China is HUGE (and remember I am from Canada so I know huge countries) and you really get a sense of it in the train.

I promise I will post photos when I get a chance.

1 comment:

Amira said...

It's good to have you back! I can't wait for photos.