Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Inuvik, the Photos

I promised photos, so here they are. I have long left Inuvik though. I ended up leaving Inuvik 2 days before the Solstice, even though I had originally meant to be in Inuvik for it. Instead I spent the Solstice at the marker for the Arctic Circle.
Anyway, here are the photos:
Just the main street... a bit of a grey day. I arrived on a grey day.

the famous "Igloo church"
Because of the permafrost, which should not be disturbed otherwise things "shift" all plumbing is above ground. All water going to houses (as is the case here) and all sewage going out too.

Typical of the north is brightly coloured houses. I am sure during the long dark bleak winters it must be nice.

More above ground "plumbing"

Inuvik is ofcourse on the edge of the Mac Kenzie River delta. Here is a view from the docks.



No comments: