Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Oops one more recipe

Rajasthani Mixed Dal
If you do not have fresh curry leaves (that you can even get in Calgary) don’t even start this recipe. They are critical to the final result.

Here is another recipe, very simple this one,that I want to be able to access where ever I am.

This one is from an excellent book I borrowed from the library (since all my cookbooks are packed away): "Complete Book of Indian Cooking: 350 recipes from the regions of India” by Suneeta Vaswani.
In additions to great and varied recipes this book shows which part of India each recipe comes from which I find very interesting. I’ve wanted to go to India for a long time travel by train and experience the different cuisines. This book does suggest though that my favourite curries are from Northern India (Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Sinh).
On the assumption that who ever reads this can cook here is the backbone of the recipe. I don’t measure spices in curries because I like to change the amounts depending on what I feel like.


Mixed dals +Tumeric boil until cook with just the right amount of water.


In another pan:
Ghee
Cumin
Asafetida (other name is hing…so much easier to say and spell)
Bay leaves
Whole cloves
Green cardamom
Fresh curry leaves
Fresh ginger
Chopped tomatoes
Chilies fresh
Chiles dried (maybe)
Cayenne (if wanted) 

Add cooked dal

Fresh cilantro (if …)

No comments: