Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Tomatoes love Johannesburg climate

One thing I noticed here in Johannesburg: tomatoes grow like weeds. As somebody from a cold place you notice things like this.
I've often seen small tomato plants among peoples flowers. Probably seeds escaped from the tomato in sandwiches from the gardener.
This one I gather escaped from lunch from a stone wall builder. You can't see the wall but right next to it there is a little stone wall which was just recently rebuilt. So here is this small tomato plant growing among garbage (gardeners among you will recognize the leaf - and no I don't mean the 2 heart shape leaves). I think I'll try to rescue it since I have a tiny area with dirt where I can grow stuff. Still summer is near its end and I don't think it'll have time to bear fruits. Also I am worried that I may damage its roots because the dirt where it is growing is very packed and dense.

No comments: