Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Australia, Kakadu National Park rock art - Part 3 , Nanguluwur

In terms of art I think that Nanguluwur was my favourite, also because you have to hike to the location (a couple of kilometers if I remember right, either way, not very far)  the place is not as popular.





Click on the photo below if you want to see all the hand representations. I am very much into hands and this is one of the reason Why I prefer Naguluwur. Also I love all the mythical creatures represented.


In many places, but particularly on the roof of the rock overhang you have those great hand impressions.

Here is a close up. They are believed to represent the oldest rock at in the area and the theory is that some of them are as old as 20,000 years old. I love them. The actual presence of the person involved in the process is right here in front of our eyes.

Here is one of the mythical creatures with a word of explanation. (click on the picture if you want to see it large enough to be able to read)


Some "contact" art (because it demonstrates contact with white folks)

More mythical creature. This one uses the large bags to carry parts of humans... Nanguluwur is a very dangerous place where nobody is supposed to be staying there after dark.


I loved Kakadu and I particularly loved Nanguluwur. The place is magical.

No comments: