Monday, August 15, 2011

Kakadu National Park - Cahill Crossing

The Alligator River marks the boundary between Kakadu National Park and the Arnhem Land. It is a beautiful river but has many crocodile (unfortunately the river was poorly names since there are no alligators in this part of the world.). Cahill Crossing is the only place where you can drive across the river to go to Arnhem Land.  Kakadu is a coastal park and its entire north boundary is the northern coast, so the river at this point is very close to its estuary. In fact the tides come way up the river and the first time I went to Cahill Crossing (an easy walk from the campsite where I was staying) this is what I saw.
And I thought that I must be badly turned around because I expected the river to flow the other way. In fact what I was seeing was the tide coming in and making the river look like it was flowing back inland.

It normally looks like this:

See the difference?
And at low tide its level is much lower.
I went several times to see the turning of the tide and it is quite something. You can actually see the river flowing one way, stop, and then start flowing the other way. It is quite the thing.
It is in fact a reversing waterfall.

There are lots of fishermen at Cahill Crossing and apparently every now and then one feed the crocs by standing a little too close to the water or even in the water just a little too long.
The crocodiles of Kakadu are quite impressive and Cahill Crossing is a great place to see them (no photos, sorry)

No comments: