Thursday, January 26, 2012

Driving to Ai Ais Hot Springs - Namibia

For New Year I drove to Ai Ais Hot Springs in Namibia. First I drove from Johannesburg to Springbok. I love the drive to Springbok, especially the part from Upington to Springbok, you get fabulous road "mirages". Vehicles coming over the "mirage" seem to float and even have a reflection in the mirage entirely as if this was water.

Then with my friend R. From Springbok, and using her vehicle which is much more practical than my "toy" car and her camping equipment we drove to Ai Ais Hot springs in Namibia.

To cross the border you have to cross the Orange River.

As soon as you cross the river the landscape changes drastically and you can just tell that you are in beautiful Namibia.



We stopped along the way a few times to enjoy the views, for me to look at the rocks etc. An I found this pretty amazing grass hopper..... do you still call it a grass hopper when there is no grass? Look at the size of it!

The entrance into the actual park (Ai Ais Hot Springs) is a complete non-event. the big difference is that out of the park there are fences all along the road, inside the park you are in a fence-free area, always a treat.

It wasn't a dream it was Ai Ais National Park



This is out camp at the hot springs.

Now you're going to have to wait for me to blog about the actual hot springs. For now all I will say is: if you have a chance to go, do not hesitate and go. You can camp or rent a room or a small semi-detached cabin. This is not a place you go to for the accommodation, you have to go there for the surroundings and the fabulous warm water. The temperatures I would guess were around 40C (104F) in day time and probably as low as 18C (64F) some nights and in either temperature the water felt wonderful... but then again I am a hot spring junky.

No comments: