Sunday, January 30, 2011

Bueno Aires

After over 4 thousand kilometres of driving and just under two months I am back in Johannesburg, but before I show you some pictures I want to should you something of Buenos Aires.

After Santiago Bueno Aires originally felt a lot less friendly and a lot more "urban". I know it seems silly to even use the word "urban" about a city because honestly what else could it be? But after slow-paced Santiago with parks full of people sitting on benches, children playing in the fountains and with multiple small neighborhood street markets Bueno Aires felt very different. However I should say right away that it was great, just great in a very different way.

As I saw it Bueno Aires is the city of multi-lanes avenues, fabulous architecture, culture, political protests (very civilized ones), dog walkers, museums, shows and restaurants. I though it was a pleasant juxtaposition of business like very elegant neighborhoods, bohemian streets with varied types of shows to be caught in very diverse venues: from noisy drumming procession along a narrow cobbled street to fantastic production of Falstaff in small old theater (both of which I saw).

You always hear how Bueno Aires is the Paris of South America and I have to say it is actually a good way to describe it, the Paris or the Barcelona of South America I would say.

But anyway here are some photos:

















No comments: