Monday, April 04, 2011

Hong Kong - First impressions

Well I was wrong my super cheap (and incredibly tiny) room (at US$120 for four nights) turns out to have wireless!
So just a few pictures for you.

There are colourful streets signs and people everywhere.

Buildings are usually somewhat grey and not great looking especially when you get off the main avenues.

more street signs, more people.

At night all the lights are turned on and the streets are very busy, so going out at night is not a safety issue.

A vegetable markets. There are amazingly few fruits but maybe I feel this way because I just left South Africa.

A medicine stand at the vegetable market. There was everything from dried cacti palms, to dried snakes (no, not snake skins, I could see the ribs) and eucalyptus berries!  (you know that if you click on the photos you get them a little bigger.)

Just a couple of women waiting at the bus stop. You can take pictures of people in Hong Kong. Cameras are flashing, snapping, rolling all the time, nobody cares, nobody pays any attention.

First impression: busy place but so busy in fact that you can feel nicely ignored and alone. It feels safe, very safe and it is incredibly easy to get around, to find food, to do what ever you need to do. It is exhausting but it is nice. I wouldn't want to live here I think, unless I had a neighborhood which was "my neighborhood", then maybe, but generally I like it.
I had read that particularly where I am staying people trying to sell you stuff were very insistent and that you should avoid making eye contact with them or you would never be rid of them. All I have to say to people who wrote this is: "do not go to Africa!!! ". I find it all very easy here, tiring because of the amount of people, noise and motion going on all the time, but easy.

No comments: