Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The Johannesburg to Hong Kong Flight

Afterward I always forget. For example I have forgotten how much the entrance visa is for Chile, and I wish I remembered since I am going back. I do remember that to enter Chile as a US, Australia or Canada citizen you need to pay around US$100 (could be US75, or US$120) and it is valid for the life of your passport, but I need a new passport, mine is ful!). So this time I am going to try to write down things.

First the plane:
The flight from Johannesburg to Hong Kong takes 13 hours!
And I want to remember that on that flight, economy class, I would have been allowed 30kg of luggage... Not that I can carry it!!! But it is good to know.

This said I should add that even thought when I first heard the captain say "13 hours" I was totally demoralized, it wasn't that bad. I watched two movies (nothing worth mentioning) and slept. I did wake up with a serious kink in the neck but it was gone by mid morning the next day.

One of the peculiarity of this flight was that from the moment the plane appeared to be fully boarded (and it wasn't) people started changing seat, re-organizing themselves, making deals with other passengers, etc. Now, I can't criticizes because I always do it (well, not the "making deal" part, that I never do), and just like them I always do it before the plane even starts moving. But this was by far the worth case of it I have ever seen. People were changing right, left and centre. In the end it made very little difference since the plane was very nearly full. But it was funny to watch.

Now the bus:
Figuring out the bus to get to the hotel was incredibly easy.
To go to Chungking Mansions on Nathan Street you have to take the Airbus A21 and stop at stop number 14. The airport is well signed and there are multiple help desks where the staff is actually helpful. I knew the bus number and the stop number but what I didn't know is that inside the bus there is a small LED screen with none stop messages telling you which stop is next so you can't miss it.

Another thing you need to know is the bus is HK$33 and you have to have the exact change. 
I went to the 7-Eleven at the airport and bought myself a drink and mentioned to the young man at the cash register that I needed change for the bus and he very nicely asked how much the bus was and made sure he returned my change so that I had HK$33 in change. I was SO impressed by that! At a 7-Eleven, at an airport, what are the odds?!!?

Last the guest house (hostel?):
When you get out of the bus you need to walk back in the direction the bus comes from and Chungking Mansion is very close. Once you are in you need to find the set of elevator which corresponds to the block you are going to (D in my case, so on the right at the back) and once you are there you need to remember that the elevator on the right only stops at odd-numbered floors, while the elevator on the left only stops at even-numbered floors. Once you know all this it is easy.

No comments: