Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Australia, Kakadu National Park rock art - Part1 , Ubirr

I keep on posting about China because I took so many photos and I had such a great time but since I have been to Australia. I am now in Canada and I am just back from just under two weeks of hiking in Jasper National Park.

But first Kakadu National Park in North Western Australia, a fabulous place rich in Aboriginal art...and I will only really show the rock art.

Ubirr is probably the most famous of all the locations in Kakadu. I spent quite a bit of time at the Ubirr campsite hiking around and enjoying the place. I loved Kakadu.

I should say that the rock art is hard to photograph well and the photos do not do them justice. In place the various paintings below are not that hard to see but there is a lot of painting on top of paintings and in the photos it makes it hard.



This is a closer shot of the area shown in the first photo and it shows better what you can actually see.

All of Ubirr is a large area under a rock overhang and all that you see in rusty red in this photos is an art gallery.


Mostly in Ubirr you see animals...but not only


This is a Tasmanian tiger (now long extinct but seen alive in Tasmania within "white people" memory) this strongly suggests that they use to exist on the mainland of Australia too. In fact it is believed that the were pushed to extinction on the mainland by the dingos (brought by the Aborigines) who took their niche.


A lot of fish painting at Ubirr, they are mostly barramundi a local fish still very much fished in the Alligator River in Kakadu. Notice the hand on the left.

2 comments:

Amira said...

I can't decide if I like these photos or your China photos better. They're all wonderful.

C. said...

This is exactly why I cannot stop traveling.
I don't seem to be able to decide which places I want to "give up", more than not being able to decide where I want to stay. When I China I wanted to stay in China and when in Kakadu I wanted to stay in Kakadu!