Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Plan for This Winter

Ok, so this winter I am planning to spend a few months here in Fort Smith and then once I have had enough of the very short days and the cold of winter and roughing it in a cabin I will jump in the truck with the camper and go south to ????

Anyway, here are the photos of the cabin I am going to rent for the winter months I will spend around Fort Smith:
It is not far from a road which is maintained even in winter, but even tough you can see an electric line there is no electricity. And yes in white is the outhouse.



this is the view this time of year from the front door.

You can see that it is not far from the road, a VERY quiet dirt road which as I was saying earlier is maintained in winter and this is key because it means that the snow will be plowed regularly.
The inside is obviously a complete mess right now just like any empty house but I think it has potential.




It is 5km (3 miles) from cell phone reception, 11 km (7 miles) to the main paved road, and 30km (17 miles) to the grocery store, swimming pool and town in general.

It has no running water, which for me means that when I want to go I can just lock it and go without worrying about pipe freezing and bursting. I really was set on only renting a cabin with NO running water. and no electricity, so I will get a generator for light on the short days of winter and mostly to run the block heater on the truck so I can start it at -40C (also -40 in Fahrenheit) which is the kind of temperatures to expect.

From Google Maps here is the location of Fort Smith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me. Susan and I will encounter a little winter too, volunteering at a park outside Washington, D.C., instead of Big Bend. I can't imagine wintering way far north. We will enjoy your narrative from afar.