Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Slave River Paddle Fest 2014

The Slave River Paddle Fest takes place in Fort Smith and in the river rapids around Ft Smith. Truly a beautiful setting.
I spent a lot of time in the water so I do not have many pictures.
First day started with a gentle paddling across the river to have a picnic.


some people paddled their canoes on m ore technical waters.

The first Voyageur race coming back to shore.

Next time is a day full of events including beach ball race...... here preparing for it by blowing up the beach ball is a young woman who came all the way from Canmore, southern Alberta.





Pelicans in the morning before everybody arrives.

 The rapids, called "the Playground" where most of the various activities take place.

Some people are just gifted!

And here is photo somebody took of me in the double kayak as we are surfing a very big wave. I don't like this photo of me. I think I look like an idiot but at least I look like a happy waving-her-arms-in-the-air-idiot. Surfing does not look like much on photos but it is really a very crazy fun thing to do. Leif, who is the guy at the back and really the guy doing it all (obviously since I am madly waving my hands in the air) is a world class kayaker who take people on double ride so they get the chance to experience something which would take years to perfect if you were trying to do it on your own.
I had a wonderful week end: went on several white water rafting trips, got thrown out of the rafts twice - each time to be rescued immediately by kayakers, tried the paddle board, canoeing of course and some sort of open-faced kayaks which do not require any particular skills to get out of when you flip over.... Generally a good time. I am tired and covered in bruises.
I am looking forward to next year.

No comments: