Friday, September 02, 2016

The Unfinished Wood Shelter

Once I got into cutting poles, I had a phase I think and just started to think as all kind of projects using poles. And this is how the 6-cord-woodshelter got started. I decided to do a.... you guessed it.... pole structure.

I cut my own poles, dug 3 feet deep holes, tried to line up the poles as much as I could, and raised the 6 poles needed for the structure that way.




Than it was time to put double girts across and this is when I started using the truck as a ladder. Because I am on my own I had to find a way to hold the 2x8 on one side while I was putting it up on the other side and this is what the  pole which appears to be lining on the structure is doing. It is holding the girt up for me.
First I just put one screw in, then drill a 1/2' hole through the 2 girts and the vertical poles and then bolted them together.

Since later on the rafters will rest on the girts I needed them to line up just right.
I first put the 2 most outward girts then put 2 rafters on top and all other girts were added so they would fit snugly under those rafters which means that in time they will be sharing the load the rafters will be carrying.  No point in putting 6 girts in all if the rafter only rest on two or three.
I had to think in terms of possible snow load here.

...And unfortunately it is pretty much where it is at right now, and has been for the last 5 weeks since I sprained my ankle. I do have all the girts (so 6 and not 3 as in this picture... one on each side of the poles) and they are all bolted in place.

No comments: