Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fruits

One of the great things about South Africa is how cheap and plentiful fresh fruits are. Right the nartjies (mandarins) just started, the mangoes are still going strong and guavas are here. I did see any granadillas (passion fruits) last week but it could very well be that they were sold out.
There are several kinds of mangoes at the green grocer, as well as a couple of different kinds of pawpaws (papaya). I eat a lot of fresh fruits when I am here.

I remember last time I went back to Canada when I first went to the grocery store I looked at the fruit and veggie stand and I thought "What am I going to eat? There is nothing for me to eat here." I get so spoiled in South Africa, especially Johannesburg where there is an incredible variety of foods available.

Look at the size of this mango! and I have big hands.

And here are the guavas sitting on a "bed" of nartjies.

and here is a shot with them still on the tree. This shot comes from on my last trip to Macmac near Sabie. These were actually wild guavas growing in the bush along the river path behind the coffee plantation I visited.

No comments: