Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Macadamia nuts

I don't know where else in the world macadamia nuts are grown but I can tell you that in the Sabie area in the North East corner of South Africa. In fact you can buy them at the market for the equivalent of about two dollars for half a kilo or there about. I did buy some but to tel you the truth I mostly ate pawpaws, mangoes and avocados which are also plentiful in that area.

In the plantations I saw the tress were kept somewhat short.


To my surprise the nuts grow in grape like fashion along long stems like features.


The nut itself as you see it on the tree has an outer layer on top of the hard round shell. Yo can see the one I hold in my hand has an outer layer which has split open and inside you can see the smooth round nut.


The leaf is quite thick a slightly "varnished", quite simple but with some slightly pointed  feature on its margine. They reminded me a bit of a cross between an oak leaf  an bay leaf and an ivy leaf.

No comments: