Monday, April 08, 2013

Obama Shweshwe Fabric

Today I went downtown Jo'burg with K (we are just about becoming regulars) and I found this great fabric: a Obama shweshwe fabric.



For those who do not know: "shweshwe" refers to a particular type of South African fabric with a long history.
I had not seen this particular shweshwe before. This is not a DaGama shweshwe but a Three Dolphins Shweshwe. Here is their stamp at the back of the fabric. The same way that DaGama has their Three Cats, Three Leopards, Toto or Fancy Print at the back of theirs.

I cannot put a link for them because I cannot find them on the internet at all. I do not know who else carries Three Dolphins (which appears to be one of the labels of Dolphin Fabrics) but Smart Fabrics Tradind C. C. specializes in Dolphin Fabrics, German Prints (which is the old fashion name for shweshwe) and Bias Binding. They have  five stores in Durban and two in Johannesburg, both on Market Street one at 206 Market Street, the other at 157 Market Street.

I should add that as far as the experts are concerned a Three Dolphins or a Three Elephant shweshwe is not a shweshwe but a fake. (see page 34 of this magazine for reference). They say that only DaGama produce the reall Shweshwe. I guess it is like the French "appellation controlee". I'll admit that both the fabric and the printing are much lower quality than the DaGama product but the price reflect this and DaGama as far as I know does not have a Obama print.
Just the same I love this fabric and I am very happy that I found it. I look forward to wearing it in the States and"show off".

No comments: