Saturday, April 06, 2013

The Top 5 Regrets

First I want to say that I am OK.
For what ever reason (I think because this afternoon volunteering at the charity store sorting out the books I came across "the Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch) I was thinking about "The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying".
Also I am about to pack everything and leave South Africa. I have no obligations or even places where I have to be once I leave so I can go anywhere and do anything I want, so the "no regret" thing is very big on my mind right now. I want to make sure that I use my time well. There are so many things I would like to do but amazingly few I feel I cannot go without doing. Most of all I want to go slow. I don't want to rush through and miss everything, I want to go slow and enjoy everything instead. For me "slow" and "simple" are key...(remember I said I was OK... I am Ok!)

But this is not what this post is about. I am sure you all know the list but somehow I think it might be worth writing it again.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.


You all know the story: Bronnie Ware, an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives recorded their dying epiphanies. This is how she came up with this list and wrote a book.

No comments: