Thursday, June 28, 2012

Swaziland a few words

I guess I am back to doing "a Photo a day" but got out of "Johannesburg" sort of theme I had. I think I will just do "a photo a day" of what ever I want with no theme even though I really enjoyed when Amira did hers with a theme. I just don't have the discipline to stick to it.

I just want to say a few things about Swaziland.

First here is a map from Google Maps to locate Swaziland.
 
It is land locked between South Africa and Mozambique.
It is a small kingdom (the present king is King Mswati III). To give you a sense of the size of Swaziland, if it was a square it would be 130 km wide - meaning of course that you can easily go from one side of the kingdom to the other and back in a day.
English is widely spoken but the true language of Swaziland is siSwati, a somewhat difficult language which makes Zulu with its 6 genders etc seem easy.
The currency is the Lilangeni (plural Emalangeni) which is on par with the South African Rand (as is the Namibian dollar).
The climate changes wildly from one side of the country to the other based on elevation.
In fact the country can be divided into 4 belts running parallel to each other from east to west.The west side of the country is mountainous with an elevation around 1800m.
As you travel eastward each belt has a lower elevation than the previous one. And the Eastern most belt is subtropical with a mean elevation of 200m. Its climate allows sugar canes to be widely and successfully grown commercially.

Obviously as I was looking for warm weather I just drove through the 2 western belts and went right through to the good weather. This took me less than 50 kms from the western border!

Anyway here is the photo of the day: A view of Swaziland plains just 40 kilometres east of Mbabane (the Capital city which is in the Highveld and so was quite cold this time of year)

1 comment:

Amira said...

I'm glad you're posting again. I want to go to Swaziland, although I'd be looking for the cooler weather.

I liked the bee eaters too.