Sunday, June 09, 2013

Where I am sleeping tonight

Tonight I am stopping at Continental Divide Lodge...obviously I am camping not going to the actual lodge (which is a bunch of prefabs put together...a very northern thing to do...typically where you have permafrost or where you have a semi permanent and often oil industry related camp).
It is quite cool tonight. In fact the mountains around still have a little snow and in the campsite itself there is a couple of very small snow piles left from where they were plowed in what was probably originally very big piles. Here are the "reception" and the restaurant, basically the main building. You can see the mountains with a little snow in the back. Unfortunately the little furnace in the camper just died, so back to no heater. I say "back to no heater" because before this trip I had no heater because I had trouble with the camper battery. Now the battery is OK but the furnace died... I can't even use it when I am hooked up to power, as I am now. I used to be able to do that. So in fact the situation is a little worse now. Oh well, at least we are getting into summer.

And here the campsite...not fancy and atmospheric but simple and functional and really on the road this is all you need. This is not a place designed for people to spend a holiday.


Remember how on June 2nd I posted a slide of the weather map from environment Canada with the 2 dots of what I had traveled that day? Here is the slide:
June 2nd

Today's location on today's weather map:
The red dot in this slide is Watson Lake where I am on June 9th
I've traveled quite a bit. I am actually about 100km out of Watson Lake. The weather was good, the road was good and not too busy I felt like driving further, in part to make the drive tomorrow a bit shorter.
Eventually I will actually get out of the weather map published by Environment Canada.

No comments: