Sunday, July 06, 2014

Gallup, New Mexico

Obviously I am not anywhere near Gallup these days but I am trying to get back on the time line and blog nearly in order....It is not really working because I was in Gallup BEFORE Monument Valley, but I just want to say something about Gallup, just one simple thing: Gallup was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect anything at all. For all I knew Gallup was just another town on the map but it turns out that Gallup is truly the capital of Navajo, Zuni and Hopi jewelry and craft. All the expensive stuff you see in Santa Fe pretty much starts in Gallup, or at least is available in Gallup. There was some beautiful Squash Blossom Necklaces but even in Gallup where things are not as pricy as in Santa Fe I really cannot afford one (maybe one day).
Mostly Gallup has the pleasant feel of a real town.
As usual here are some random photos of Gallup.





I did spoil myself and bought a beautiful old silver and turquoise brooch/pendant, as well as some beads from a local craft store.

No comments: