Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Salt River Canyon

The highlight of that part of the trip for me was Salt River Canyon. It was the worst and the best drive of this tip so far (though Colorado and its snow storms, both ways now, is coming pretty close second on the worst drive competition).
The first thing is of course that the cabin is by the Salt River (and the Slave River), so that made it special to me. The other thing about this drive is had I planned at all I would have realized that the roads were going to be too twisty and too steep to drive comfortably with the camper. But since it was a last minute turn off the most obvious route it ended up being a surprise....worth it though.

I promise you the photos do not do it justice. There was about 2,000 feet of elevation difference between the top of the canyon and the base. There was miles of 6% gradient, and 6% is a lot steeper than it sounds.

 See what I mean? this is the road I took going down.

The canyon looks a lot deeper than this is real life.

You can sort of see it in this photo... the day was overcast so the grey light does not help.

Some guy offered to take my picture, and since it was Salt River I thought it would be nice.




No comments: