Thursday, July 21, 2011

China, the Terra Cotta Warriors - Part 1, the Warriors

Going to China I had a few things on my list of "to do" and I didn't get to them all, but one I did was the Terra Cotta Warriors of Xi'an.

They are about an hour drive out of Xi'an. We were lucky enough to find a local car to take us, wait for us and take us back because the line up and general disorganization at the bus depot in Xi'an were pretty bad. But a regular local guy approached us and offer to drive us. We made a deal and realizing that he may not be waiting for us we only paid half the cost agreed agreeing to pay him the rest when he drove us back. Honestly even though we thought that he might not be there when we got out. But he waited and the all process was totally simple and unadventurous.

Once you get there there is a huge infrastructure around the warriors themselves. The Warriors are indoor in a very large building.

You have to bear with me and the photos on this one because I do not have a fancy camera at all and ultimately you cannot get close to the warriors. I have to admit that that part was frustrating. It was worth seeing them in place but in a way I wish some of them had been behind class so one could get closer.
I guess it was nice that we could take pictures. As long as you did not use a flash or a tripod you could take pictures.





In the background you can see the crowd on the other side. We were there on a week end so it was a little busy (in Chinese terms...)





The detail on them is amazing.(You know that if you click on the picture you can see a larger version)

There is still a lot to be done. Some of it will not be done until they know how to preserve the colours they are painted with which has now all disappeared from the warriors which have been excavated. Also not all the warriors are not found standing up nicely waiting to be uncovered.

1 comment:

Amira said...

I think that I preferred seeing them in place. But we don't have really good photos of them either. But at least you can take photos there now.