Monday, July 18, 2011

My new favourite way to cook cabbage

After such a great trip to China I obviously feel like eating Chinese food.
I get this recipe from "Hot Sour Salty Sweet - A Culinary Journey through Southeast Asia" by Jeffrey Alford and Noami Duguid. Any body into cookbooks will know who they are.

.1 small green cabbage (1 lb)
.2 tbsp oil
.1 ounce pork butt with its fat sliced,
or 2 slices bacon cut into 1" length, or possibly even any ground meat you like
.4 cloves garlic minced
.3 thai chilies
.3 1/4" slices of ginger
.1 star anise broken into two
.2 tbsp of soy sauce
thinly slice cabbage and chop once over.
Heat large wok or pan of any sort to medium heat.
Add oil and toss in pork or any meat you are using and garlic for 2 min until garlic changes colour and pork melts. Make sure wok is NOT too hot.
Add chilies + ginger + anise and cook for 2 minutes.
Turn heat to high and stir in cabbage. Add salt and continue stir-frying until cabbage wilt.
Add soy sauce and stir -fry for one minute. Serve hot.

The authors point out the key part here is to cook the cabbage until wilted but still a little crunchy, but it is pretty obviously the best texture for a cabbage stir-fry/

2 comments:

Amira said...

I love that cookbook and that's one of my favorite recipes in it. I can't often find fresh ginger here, so I haven't made it for a while, but it's such a delicious and easy recipe.

C. said...

I thought of you using this book. I remember you blogging about it.
You are right it is a very simple and delicious recipe. I think that it would be very nice with either beef or lamb instead of pork but without ginger...???
I can see why you wouldn't make it without ginger.