Tuesday, July 26, 2011

China, Train Trip - Part 1, The Train

I took a train trip from Chengdu to Beijing (28 hours) and bought myself a "soft sleeper" seat lower bed. Which is pretty much the best seat you can get and the most expensive. The ticket cost about $70.

Here is the inside of the compartment with my seat/bed.

Not much to do but look out the window...

....or sleep.

You can see in the window of the train opposite us at the platform, people go to the restaurant car and stay there for the entire trip, at least some do. If you want a seat you have to go right away but you really don't have to go (mostly because it is a smoking area) because a cart comes throught the train and sales food three times a day and you can buy pretty decent food for about $3.

Theplatform at one of our stops in a small town.

The label on my train.



I should say that trains in China are incredibly safe. I had originally bought a special kind of net you can put around your bag to protect it and tight it down thinking that in the train my bag would be alone when ever I was going to the bathroom or stepping away anywhere, but in the end I would get up and just leave my camera on the seat or on the little table at the centre of the compartment and had no problems.

2 comments:

Amira said...

I loved all the photos, but especially these because I hope we can travel around China by train someday. Hard sleeper will probably fit our budget a little better though, with a family of five.

C. said...

Also as a family of five you'll have nearly the entire "compartment" which would be better than soft sleeper where you would have to be slipt and have one of you in a different compartment.
I would have no hesitation to go hard sleeper but for a first try (and a really small price difference I thought) I treated myself to "soft".