Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hippocrene Books - Publishing house

I've mentioned in a  previous post that I had borrowed from our library "Taste of Nepal" and today as I thought I would go through it to find a another daal recipe (I've already made Mismaas Dall quite successfully I thought) I noticed on the front page a list of "The Hippocrene Cookbook Library" which is quite unusual and quite extensive. Out of curiosity I thought I would go to their web page and I was not disappointed. They have books like "The Kerala Kitchen: Recipes and Recollections from the Syrian Christian of South India" !!! This sounds absolutely fabulous to me. Now I will have to go to our library' catalog and see if they  have it.
I can't buy anything right now I am moving. If anything I need to get rid of things.

Two reasons why I wanted to post about this publishing house:
1. I want to be able to find the link again
2. I saw in their list of cookbooks on their webpage: " Imperial Mongolian Cooking" by Marc Cramer. They describe the book as follow: "This collection includes 120 easy-to-follow recipes, a glossary of spices and ingredients and a list of samples menues. It includes such dishes as "Bean and Meatball Soup", "Spicy Steamed Chicken Dumplins", "Turkish Swordfish Kabobs" and "Uzbek Walnut Fritters"." and I wondered if you (really mostly wondering if A., I don't know many other people with interest in Central Asia really) have heard of it.
......... (added later, after further browsing of the web page) they have "Art of Uzbek Cooking". When I was in Kazakhstan I used to go to this little Uzbek restaurant. They had great food. In fact in Kazakhstan Uzbek food was reputed, and recognized by all, as the best food in all of Central Asia. ..... Oh no! I am salivating just to think of it!

No comments: