Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tasmania Bay of Fires - one more thing

I should really add one more thing about the Bay of Fires. (it scares me a little to see how much I go on about the Bay of Fires when it wasn't even my favourite place in Tasmania. The one thing that will save you endless posts about my favourite place is probably the fact that it was a mood place more than a picturesque place. There will be few pictures, which means less posts.)

All along the beach you see below on another Google map there are several very nice campgrounds which are totally free. They only have toilets (out-houses or long-drops however you refer to them) but in St Helen which is less than 20 kilometres away you can get a free hot shower in the harbor.

You can walk along the beach I show on the map and even across the rocky points you see directly South and North of the area I have highlighted. And you can go for hours, probably even for days if you had the equipment needed. The forest on the West side has lots of really pleasant (and completely deserted from my experience) small forestry roads which makes for excellent hiking. Along those roads I was able to go to the northern beach on this map and it is a beautiful spot. One of those totally empty spots that makes you think "I cannot believe that I am here" it is that beautiful. I never saw another person there. Honestly the pictures do not do it justice.





No comments: