Monday, July 05, 2010

The wallabies and pademelons - part 2

I did get better pictures of wallabies than those I posted before. Of course those were all taken in  one National Park or another. I love National Parks. I am an absolute fan.

Most of the photos, as I discovered once I went through them to see what I would post, are actually of Bennet Wallabies - a particular type of wallaby which is quite common in Tasmania.

I found it hard to take good pictures of wallabies. Their tail is quite long and you have to decide to either chop the tail or have the picture appear mostly empty. I think these first two somehow worked out.



I like this one. They often have this goofy look on their face. I always seem that they are thinking something like: "Hmmmm????"






See the one below is a pademelon. It has a rounder body and a finer face. I unfortunately do not have very many good pictures of pademelons. I really tended to see them at night a lot more than the wallabies.


The general feel of things is the hardest thing to convey in pictures. I was in Narawtapu National Park, I was the only one there and I just went for a walk at dusk. The place was incredibly quiet, there was no wind, no sound, not a motion. It was very peaceful. I watched this guy eat the leaves from the tree for a while and when he saw me he turned his head around slowly and it felt like: "Hmmm?!?! Are you looking at me? I am not here. I am not doing anything." To me it seemed that the wallabies (and the pademelons) when surprised would first stay very still and only move very slowly if they had to move until they decide to run away and then they would bolt.
The picture below reminds me of such a great moment.


Nicely they also do exactly what you expect of them such as scratching and contorting themselves into odd positions to do so.

No comments: