Saturday, July 03, 2010

The Wallabies and the Pademelons - part 1

I have to split the kangaroos-like-creature photos into two posts otherwise it will be too long so I thought I would first show you what my first impressions of wallabies (remember small kangaroos) and pademelons (very small kangaroos) were. (note: to be accurate I should say they are EITHER kangaroos OR wallabies OR pademelons. Technically they are different species. )

They were in the undergrowth and actually amazingly difficult to see. It doesn't look like it in photos but somehow their colour blends in.

Can you see this one standing on the left of the pant?

It shows a little better in the next picture.


But I could see them at night. That was great because I could then really get close and watch them for a while but as far as pictures are concerned it is not the best.
You can either get red eyed wallabies / pademelons (this one is a pademelon: round body fine face) ....

.. or blurry wallabies / pademelons (again those are pademelons). This photo is without the flash and with a long exposure.

Though sometimes they stand still long enough to get something worthwhile.


And even more typical I would see their back for a moment ....

.... and then they'd be gone!

And then on a lucky day I would get close and they would not run away (obviously this is in a national park - only in national parks!) but they would slowly but surely turn around so that it is was very hard to get a picture of their face.

Do you see what I mean about their colouring and how they seem to blend in?

No comments: