Tuesday, November 01, 2011

The Columbia Valley, close to Radium Hotsprings

A lot has happened since I last blogged. I  guess I just wasn't into it.
I sort of did a Canadian "road trip".
I left Canada and flew to Santiago where I spent 2 nights on my way to South Africa.
And now I am in Johannesbug where it is summer. Unfortunately I just missed a record heat wave with highs in the high 30C which is quite hot for Johannesburg.

About the so called road trip..... I did intend to do a Canadian road trip but in the end didn't go very far at all.
I drove to Jasper National Park and spent  a few days there but mostly spent my time in Radium, British-Columbia.
I had been to Radium before but never really stopped. Surely you all know that there are hotsprings in Radium and of course it was the original reason for me to go there. I meant to drive through, soak for a day or so all while figuring out where I wanted to go next but somehow I got stuck there and spent all my time in Radium.
Radium is at the western edge of the Rockies on the edge of the Columbia Valley with the Purcell Mountains on the other side of the valley.

The Columbia Valley is beautiful and Radium's location allows for hiking in open spaces (in the valley) as well as in the mountains. I hiked everyday (not always a great big hikes) and discovered some fabulous spots. Between the hiking and the soaking in the hot springs I found time to fly kites (I hadn't flown kites in a long time but I do really enjoy it), sit in local cafes, read books etc. All together this trip was a success.

Here are some photos of the Columbia Valleys by Radium.










No comments: