Wednesday, November 02, 2011

One more Look at the Area near Miette (Jasper National Park)

One last post about my last road trip in Canada. I started by going back to Miette Hotsprings (where I had already been once this year). It was a beautiful fall this year and it was nice to go back.

This one (below) is not actually near Miette. It is on the way there, where I camped the first night. The Drive from Calgary to Miette can easily be done in one day if you feel so incline but I didn't want to rush especially since I drove the David Thompson Highway to get there and from my point of view this has to be one of the nicest drive in the Rockies ...and that has to be saying something.

The area around the hotsprings is just amazing. Unfortunately this year there seem to be quite a few cougar incidents in the Rockies and the campsite closest to the hotsprings was closed because a cougar had killed a dog. So I ended up "camping" on the parking lot of the springs which was not as nice as being in a campsite with a fire it etc and I ended up staying for less than a week.

I don't think I can ever get tired of this particular mountain ridge (Roche Miette).
I did a lot of hiking, especially since I was supposed to be training for my trip to Patagonia (which has been canceled obviously otherwise I would be there right now) and looking at the photos I have I was surprised to see that I do not have pictures from the hiking. It is probably because I was into training and carried a heavy backpack (loaded with books!!!) more than into photo taking.

Here is a photo of hte view from Sulfur Skyline I took in August this year (the first time this year I stayed at Miette).
You can see the hotspring facilities in the valley and Roche Miette in the distance to the right.

No comments: