Saturday, April 19, 2014

Stark Museum of Art in Orange Texas

After a couple of weeks in Louisiana I basically turned around and started traveling west. I re-entered Texas on the interstate even though I seldom travel on interstates. And so went to the Stark Museum of Art in Orange Texas.
I was blown away. I strongly recommend The Stark Museum of Art if you are at all into art from the early days of whites in America.

They have an fabulous collection. Apparently they have the best collection of Paul Kane's work in the world. Here is one of the famous Paul Kane painting:

But most of all for me they had a few of the portrait of the American Indian chiefs who went to Washington. those portraits were commissioned by the US government in a moment a great insight when somebody realized the value of such thing. You see those portrait in all books dealing with the subject. I had seen them many times and never hoped to see they "in the flesh".
This was unfortunately the start of the REAL bad problems with my camera so I have limited photos and they are not that great. A lot of those photos were lost too.




When I was there they had an exhibition of Navajo rugs.







No comments: