Saturday, August 07, 2010

My New Truck Camper

Look what a friend (Andy for those who know) gave me. (the camper, not the truck, the truck was mine already. I use to need it for work and I kept it when I didn't need it anymore)

Of course when I say "new truck camper" I mean "new to me". It is old (1978) and used to be his Dadd's but it had some water damage after a tree fell on it at the farm where it was stored.


Andy and I spent three long days working on it to bring it back to a new life. Andy completely rewired it. We redid the ceiling after Andy framed it. Originally there was no framing for the ceiling at all which makes you wonder how it was able to carry the snow. We replaced the carpet and a all bunch of stuff. The hot water tank is split probably because it was left with water in it in winter and it froze but I decided that I didn't need hot water. It has a stove, a mini furnace which of course now brings to mind the idea of going to Alaska before I leave this continent.

Those things are such North American things to me. I remember seeing them on my first trip to Algonquin Park about twenty six years ago. It took me a while but now I have one of my own.
It probably seems very "red neck" to some of you but I am really happy about it. I love the idea of traveling around with my house with me. It reminds me of the van I rented in Tasmania but with a real North American twist.
I forgot to say, for some reason there was no mold in it and the thing does not smell at all which was the best part about it and is the reason why the "drastic make over" was possible.

I tell you though driving with one of those at the back is quite different. It makes the truck top heavy, slower, and a lot more susceptible to side winds, but it is nothing that cannot be handled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is a real friend !!

Nice new home you have there my dear...

Rob

QLD, Australia

C. said...

Andy is a very generous person.
I do love my new home, especially since it looks like my house may be sold...not quite sure yet though so I won't celebrate too early.