Saturday, November 16, 2013

More Sewing to Pass the Time in the Cold Weather

Don't worry this is not becoming a craft blog... I just don't do enough crafts for that.
Just it is cold. I am in the camper and I have to keep myself busy. I just learned, from a library book, how to sew zippers. It was one of those things I wanted to know but somehow had never gotten round to learning. Well, now I know, and as my friend M in Jo'burg said, it is simple once you know how.

Anyway I just made myself 2 pencil-case-type-things which of course in the camper are great for putting things away.
Only one has a zipper because I only bought one thinking that it was not worth buying more in case I didn't manage to do it right.


They are both made of the same fabric than the mitten because I bought an old wool coat at a thrift store for $2.00, took it apart, washed the fabric, hang dried it and ironed it. Now I have quite a bit of wool fabric. I am also working on another pair of mitten without the seam in the middle of the palm.

The embroidery is nothing complicated, just a little up-and-down stitch (I am not sure if it even had a name).
I do like the buffalo and the polar bear catching stars. They are just things I drew. The buffalo is obviously inspired by all the buffaloes I saw this year. The polar bear is not inspired from anything at all. I have never seem polar bears in the wild. It is on my list of things-to-do.

The backs are simpler with "abstract" designs, also just things I drew.


The advantage of using fabric from an old coat (apart from the price) is that it obviously came with a liner that worked well with the colour of the woolen fabric. I am quite happy with the result.

No comments: