Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Snow is White

OK, I remember what is hard about snow.
It isn't the cold, though it is a pain and I find myself procrastinating sorting out the camper because it has to be done outside (-7C, 32F...so not even that cold in Canadian terms).
It is the amount of white there is. White, white, white, white, white.

I remember living in New Brunswick. Going to university I would walk to campus, and the route I chose was a little longer than the more obvious one it but went by a bright orange house and that little bright orange house was like a drink of fresh water in the desert.

Today I find myself really missing South Africa. I miss my life there, the little cottage, the walks, the grocery stores, the green grocer, the volunteering at the charity store, the Monday expeditions with K and all that stuff.

Today my resolution to stay in North America for the winter is wavering.
I just looked at the weather in southern China and the temperatures are in double digits pretty much everywhere.
Sometimes I wonder why I am learning Mandarin (well, I am trying to learn Putonghua which can be explain as "Beijing Mandarin") when southern China speaks Cantonese....Mind you the forecast for Beijing to day is high of 17C (63F) and low 4C (39F).
I know it is useless to complain about the weather but I am kind of bummed out today, and ultimately nobody has to read this.

No comments: