Friday, January 25, 2013

Columbia Valley ice fishing in Invermere

I am in Canada right now. I took a week off doing taxes, paperwork and the various things that brought me back here in January. I drove to the Columbia Valley and I thought I would show you a little bit about ice fishing.

This is a view of Invermere Lake all iced up with a few fishing shacks on it. The entire flat area under the snow is the frozen lake.



This photo requires some explanations: the buoy you see is "floating" at the edge of the lake and got frozen into it. The truck (ute, backie, depending where you are) and the shack are on the ice. The ice is thick enough to drive right across the lake.

this guy must like to skate and clear himself an ice rink.

Here he is inside his fishing shack pointing to the opening in the ice.


If the hole in the ice is only temporary you just use and auger and drill a hole which very quickly freezes over again. This one was totally iced overbut the ice is clear so it looks like it is still open..


 Here you have it a very Canadian winter thing: ice fishing!

No comments: