Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kunming, China - Green Park and the visible ethnic minorities

Before Guilin I was in Kunming. I landed in Kunming and took the train to Guilin, and then to Chengdu before flying out of China again.
I really enjoyed Kunming. I originally landed there purely because I was just leaving from South Africa, it was October and I didn't want to go somewhere too cold. Kunming fitted the bill. But it is much more than that.
Kunming is the capital city of the Yunnan Province which is a part of China with over 26 ethnic minority groups. If you go to Green Park in Kunming you can often see people performing their traditional dances, sometimes in their traditional costumes. These people are not performers, they are regular people dancing their dances for the enjoyment of it. Just for this make sure that you do not miss Green PArk if you are in Kunming.

Dancing in the park is very normal in China but Kunming is the only place where I have been in China where you see a lot of dancing from ethnic minorities... Of course not many places in China have so many ethnic minority groups and this is why you do not see them in.

The woman below is not wearing a costume it is just the way she dresses. I wish I knew more about the various minorities and could tell you hers.

After I took these two photos I asked her if I could take her photo and she said "no". I felt bad that I had already taken 2.
It is weird the way Chinese will take your pictures all the time. They will ask you if they can have their picture taken next to you, or just on your own. I don't mind but still I can see her point of view.

No comments: