Sunday, May 31, 2015

Spotted hyenas in Kruger National Park

I had never seen hyenas before but from photos I thought that I liked them. Well, it is confirmed, I LOVE them. I want a pet male spotted hyena to take home with me .... ok, not really but so close, really close, if only it was a reasonable thing to do.





Seriously, look at this face. Don't you just want to take him home?











The hyena below is eating. You can sort of see the horn of the impala it is eating. I stayed there for a while. I could here the bones crunching, impressive jaws....this is probably why a pet hyena is not a great idea.


The book I have says about them: "the call is a series of long drawn-out Who-o-oops, rising in pitch and trailing out in a low moaning. It also grunts, groans and giggles, and yells and whines over kills." I didn't hear them this time, apart from the bones crunching, but previously when I heard them (I was told it was hyenas) I thought that the sound was a bit like the yipping of a coyote.

No comments: