Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Refuge


Bosque Del Apache National Refuge is just 29 kilometers (18 miles) south of Socorro. And it is well worth the trip. In fact if you are a birder and you are in New Mexico it is worth the trip.

It is in the valley along the Rio Grande and originally it might have been a swampy area. I do not know. But now they do flood parts of it. You can well imagine that in this dry environment water attracts wildlife particularly migrating birds.

Even if there was no birds it would be worth the visit because it is a beautiful place.



I saw many types of birds, waterfowls, birds of prey etc but for me the highlight was the sandy hill cranes.

This year I seem to be either stoking or being stoked by sandy hill cranes. I saw them on my way to Hay River in early August, in Wood Buffalo National Park in August and September, then flying overhead in mid September in northern Alberta and now in December in New Mexico.
what is so nice is that now I recognize they call. And I heard them in Bosque before I saw them. I did not know that Bosque is known as a place to see cranes. In fact around Thank Giving time (US Thanks Giving) they have the Festival of the Cranes, a six day affair with workshops, tours lectures and hikes.

Bosque is where I got closest to the sandy hill cranes so far. It was really nice to see them again and be able to take some pictures.





In the day time they disperse and in the evening they all gather together in a few spots. I was able to take some pictures for a while and then the light was just to low for my crappy little camera.






I love to watch them land. they are quite graceful.

If you are in the area I recommend Bosque Del Apache National wildlife Refuge.

No comments: