Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Kelly Kettles

This is totally unrealated to the weather or to what is happening right now. It is from this summer. I've been meaning to post something about my Kelly Kettle for quite a while.

Somebody (P. in Fort smith) very generously gave me a Kelly Kettle. And I love it. You can boil water in this thing faster that any other way, apart maybe from microwave ovens....maybe. I am not even sure.

This is the way they work. They come in 2 pieces, the base where you have the fire and the top which is the kettle and chimney at the same time.


Mine hold one liter of water (0.27 US gallons), and the amount of branches you see next to it is what it takes to boil the one liter. That's it. You cannot even start a regular camp fire with this.

 Here it is in action.

And this is what you have at the end with your liter of boiling hot water.

I know this looks like advertising, and I guess in a way it is, but truly I recommend this camping toy. It would be best suited for canoe trips or something like this because even though it is very light weight it is not small to pack. I cannot imagine myself packing it on a pack pack trip. It would have to be one of the smaller models. They do come in several sizes. but on the other to go back packing in the arctic this would be ideal. You need so little fuel.
I should add that because of the chimney effect I was able to light the kettle in any weather (rain and wind) even when the fuel (wood/pine cones/twigs/grass) was sort of wet.

No comments: