Sunday, December 22, 2013

Three Thousand Kilometers Later

I've driven just over 3,000 kilometers (1,900 miles) since I left.

I started in the cold with loads of snow in the fields but dry roads which was great. Well, dry roads on the main highways!
I spent my last night in Canada in Val Marie and had a chance to go and have a look at the buffaloes in the snow.

From there I managed to cross one state per day. All this because I was keeping track of the weather forecast and I wanted to be way south before the next wave of arctic air with its accompanying set of snow storms was due to hit.

First Montana (see: loads of snow but dry roads):

Wyoming


Colorado, where I managed to pass through Denver just before afternoon rush hour.

And then I hit New Mexico and I slowed down drastically. In fact to keep up with my one-state-a day rate I would have had to drive at least to Albuquerque the day I entered New Mexico but I stopped at the first little town south of the Colorado/New Mexico border, Raton, and stayed there for the day.
Raton is really a cute little town. There is nothing special really but people are friendly. There is everything you need, and some very nice buildings.

I stayed in an old and very cheap little motel.



And from there I went back to my regular way of driving, meaning very little driving, lots of stopping and looking around.

I stayed in Las Vegas New Mexico (not Nevada) where there are hot springs.

And then Santa Fe.





Santa Fe is really a nice town with great museums, hundreds of art galleries, etc etc, but it is VERY touristy. And it is really mostly designed for extremely rich tourists.
At the back of my mind I had thought that I might spend Christmas in Santa Fe but my obsession with running away from snow forced me out this morning since I woke up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Nicely 20 kilometers south of Santa Fe there was no snow and temperatures were much better.

Right now I am stopped in Sorroco. I am planning to stay here four days. I am basically lying low and letting Christmas go by. Here is the place where I am staying... not very busy.

Sorroco, at first sight, looks a plain little town, but again with everything you need.
It feels great to stop for a few days. I took the electric kettle out of the camper and I am making myself tea. I've already washed the outside of the truck and in the next few days I am planning to do tasks like laundry, but I am looking forward to it.
It really feels good to stop for a bit. Just the same I am sort of thinking of going to Texas (maybe Big Bend National Park) and then maybe on all the way to Florida.
Time will tell.

No comments: