Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mopane Worms

You may (or may not) remember me posting something about mopane trees on the old blog.
They have a particular leaf and fruit shape which makes them very easily recognizable.




This time in Gaborone (Botswana) I saw mopane worms, which only eat mopane leaves as the name would suggest, offered at the deli section  of the Spar store (Spar is a very common mid-range grocery store chain). They were cooked in tomato sauce. I didn't buy any the first time I saw them. Then I thought that I should try them and take some pictures to show you guys but when I went back they were sold out. However at the market a woman was selling them by the cup for about a dollar a cup) roasted and dry.


I bought a cup (she threw in a few extra to show that she was a fair stand keeper) but honestly only tried half of one.




I tried the back half because some have barbs on the front half.

I thought they were very dry, not very tasty (basically a little salty) but very gritty. They are worse than pop corn and bits and pieces stay in your teeth. Maybe the soft ones in tomato sauce would be better.

They are very popular and they even appear on the 5 pula coin of Boswana.

No comments: