Saturday, February 12, 2011

Reading: The Earthsea Quartet

These days I do not have much time to read. It seems that all my time goes to Mandarin, sorting out books at the charity store, shopping for food and cooking. But when I have time to read I am reading the Earthsea Quartet (A Wizard of Earthsea; The Tombs of Atuan; The farthest Shore and Tehanu) by Ursula Le Guin. The edition I bought (secondhand obviously) is published by Puffin which made me think that it was one of her children's book but here is a small extract from The Farthest Shore :
- " You fear them because you fear death, and rightly : for death is terrible, and must be feared," the mage said. He laid new wood on the fire, and blew on the small coals under the ashes. A little flare of brightness bloomed on the twigs of brushwood, a grateful light to Arren. "And life also is a terrible thing," Ged said, "and must be feared, and praised." -

It doesn't sound very much like a book for children to me. So far the books were a bit like Harry Potter in the sense that you can take what you want out of it and either read a lot of moral and messages or just read the story but the third book of the series is a little heavier and I can't help but wonder who was the targeted audience. I am not complaining I am enjoying the books but hte "Puffin" on the cover is the real puzzle

No comments: